Skip to main content

Christmas Poisoning

How to avoid poisoning your dog over Christmas. 

One of the most common presentations at the vet over Christmas is the dog who has eaten too much food or eaten food that is too fatty.

Dogs as they age have a decreased tolerance for fatty food. That tasty little morsel you offer from the Christmas table may end up as a trip to the vet with an unhappy puppy. 

If your dog unexpectedly gorges on chocolate or nuts it is a good idea to ring the vet immediately to arrange an emergency emetic injection. The vet has medication which can encourage your dog to vomit within about 10 minutes. 

Fatty foot is much more tricky. Many dogs, especially as they age, become prone to pancreatitis after eating fatty food. The pancreas is a small organ close to the small intestine which produces (among other things) digestive enzymes. When the pancreas becomes inflamed these enzymes leak out and start to digest the pancreas. It is a very serious condition which usually requires hospitalisation, fluid therapy and pain relief. Pancreatitis can become severe and life threatening if not treated intensively. 

The signs of pancreatitis include vomiting, abdominal pain and depression. This can occur some hours after the fatty food was given. Blood tests are helpful for diagnosis but for a definitive assessment of the pancreas an ultrasound is needed. 

So, the moral of the story this Christmas is don’t be too worried about what you eat but…..

don’t feed any fatty food to the dog! 

To make an appointment phone 9913-7979

If we are not open and it is an emergency please call NEVS on 02 9452 2933

  Explore all our interesting posts

Register as a new client using our online form.

Google Rating
Based on 297 reviews