If your dog is due for it’s C7 or KC plus C2 vaccination you can
or call us on 9913 7979
The C7 vaccination protects against Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Bordetella bronchiseptica and Parainfluenza plus Corona virus and Leptospirosis Your dog will be due a Heartworm injection at the same time as vaccination.
These are viral and bacterial diseases that in the past have caused significant illness and often death in many of our dogs. The pet owners of the Northern Beaches are thankfully mostly responsible and caring. This has lead to higher vaccination rates for our pets and much lower incidence of these dangerous diseases.
Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus are the most deadly. We now vaccinate for them every 3 years and get excellent protection results.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease spread by infected rat urine. It causes rapid onset organ failure, jaundice and death. Leptospirosis was first diagnosed on the Northern Beaches in mid 2021 and is now part of our standard yearly vaccination regime.
Corona virus is a diarrhoea virus in dogs. We find this common in unvaccinated puppies in this area. The vaccination is paired with the Leptospirosis vaccination so is now a standard yearly vaccination.
Bordetella bronchiseptica and Parainfluenza are the contagious coughing diseases. Protection is difficult and vaccination needs to be refreshed yearly, (much like flu vaccination in people). The Northern Beaches is an area with a high level of contagious coughing disease in dogs due to our social and active population and less than 100% vaccination usage. Your dog will commonly be exposed to the coughing viruses.
Some years you dog is only due for the KC plus C2 part of the vaccination. Your veterinarian will tailor your dogs vaccinations to ensure the best protection.
While you are at Pittwater Animal Hospital having your dog’s vaccinations boosted your pet will be receiving a comprehensive health check with one of our very experienced veterinarians. A yearly health check for your dog is comparable with us having a check with our doctor every 5 years. Dogs have shorter lifespans and the different age related health and behaviour signs can change from year to year.
For excellent health care your yearly vaccination can include
- Administering booster vaccinations.
- Full physical examination. This will include include discussion of any skin lumps, inflamed skin, age related changes and newly developing physical problems. The weight will be recorded and the heartbeat and dental health noted and discussed.
- Regular screening blood tests.
- Fine needle aspirates can be done on tumours to try to give more information as to if they are benign or more dangerous.
- Skin cytology can be performed to better manage changes in the skin surface.
- Preventative Health review. Where we up-date heartworm protection, discuss tick prevention, review parasite control.
- Discuss your dog’s weight and the type and amount of food you are feeding.
- Behavioural advice.
- Advise and adjust any medication prescribed for your dog.
- Schedule a cartrophen course.
- Clip nails and discuss grooming.
- Express anal sacs
It is often best to write a list of your concerns before you come so we can make sure everything is addressed at your yearly health check and vaccination.
or call us on 9913 7979