Skip to main content

Lily Toxicity in cats – it’s a thing.

There are some strange species specific poisons that effect our pets. One is lily toxicity in cats.

Little Miso, one of our adoption kittens, recently spent some time at our emergency and critical care facility NEVS. She had been seen chewing on the leaves of a lily plant. The plant had been kept safely away from Miso, but is was moved to the dining room table and she started chewing on the leaves.

There is an unknown compound in the leaves, flowers and pollen of lilies that can significantly damage your cat’s kidneys, possibly leading to kidney failure and death. By the time the cat presents with signs of kidney disease which include vomiting, lethargy, inappetence and increased thirst it may be too late to save them.

What do you do if you if your cat has been exposed to Lilies?

If your cat has chewed on the leaves or flowers of lilies or may have rubbed against the pollen it is best to seek veterinary care immediately. Sometimes we can make your cat vomit (though this can be notoriously difficult). The recommended treatment is to support your cat’s kidney perfusion with intravenous fluids to protect them from the toxin.

Cat’s are given intravenous fluids, their bloods are monitored for signs of kidney disease and urine output is monitored. If all is normal in 48 hours then treatment is ceased.

Was Miso OK?

Miso fortunately vomited on the way to the vet. She was placed on intravenous fluids for 48 hours. Her kidney factors were monitored carefully and there was no evidence of damage. Sadly without this intensive treatment Miso’s kidneys could have been irreversibly damaged.

Miso is back home but there are no lilies coming onto the house again!

  Explore all our interesting posts

Register as a new client using our online form.

Google Rating
Based on 297 reviews