Pittwater Pathology Laboratory is situated just off the Treatment Room.
Veterinary staff use our extensive laboratory equipment throughout the day.
- Microscope Bay –
The microscope is in constant use during consulting periods. To really understand why skin is inflamed or what organisms or cells are present in a discharge it needs to be examined microscopically. Your veterinarian will often take surface samples of skin during a consultation or perform a fine needle aspirate then take it to the pathology laboratory for analysis.
Microscope slides are stained to examine the sample and lenses from 4x to 100x magnification are used. The information gained from microscopic examination is invaluable in guiding your veterinarian to the most appropriate treatment option.
Urine samples can be quickly analyzed in to laboratory with chemical test strips, specific gravity analyzer plus the computer sedivue which microscopically examines the urine sample.
Results are available within 15 minutes to guide your veterinarian to the most appropriate treatment option.
Pittwater has a range of in-house blood analysis machines. These can measure
- Small biochemical profiles – for pre anesthetic testing and monitoring
- Comprehensive biochemical profiles – for unwell animals, medication reviews and comprehensive health checks.
- Haemotology – Measures white and red call indices for unwell animals, medication reviews and comprehensive health checks.
- Coagulation time measurement – helpful in intensive care cases and possible rat poison ingestion
- Additional Blood Screening
Pittwater also stocks a range of additional blood screening tests for things such as heartworm, specCPL (for pancreatitis), FIV and FELV screening.
- Sample collection equipment
The laboratory is well supplied to collect samples for external testing such as urine culture, histopathology and wound culture.
or call us on 9913 7979