1. When are your classes held?
Our classes run on Monday and Thursday at 5:30pm and 7:00pm each day.
2. How many dogs are in each class?
We have a maximum of 5 dogs per class. Keeping class sizes small creates a less stressful environment for the puppies and also allows some one on one time.
3. How much do your classes cost?
The classes run for an hour each week over four weeks. The cost is $160 for the four weeks and includes weekly emails with information in relation to the training and short videos to watch. Full payment for the course is required at the time of booking.
4. What if I need to cancel before class begins?
Provided you give us 7 days notice, we will happily refund your course fee. Your course fee will be forfeited if notification is less than 7 days.
5. If I miss a class can I make it up?
Unfortunately, we cannot make up classes that are missed. We understand that sometimes missed classes are unavoidable, this is why we provide notes each week that are emailed home to you with what is being worked on in each class.
6. When is the next class starting?
We run classes continuously so you can book your puppy in at any time that suits you. Simply give us a call on 99137979 or email us at email@example.com and we’ll slot you into the first available class.
7. How old does my puppy need to be?
Puppies need to be between 8 – 14 weeks of age.
8. What do you teach in your classes?
- Communication between dog and human
- How to teach puppy what you want to know
- What to do when things go wrong
- How to use positive reinforcement effectively
- Cues such as: Sit, Come, Drop, Wait, Mat Training and Loose Leash Walking
- Puppy specifics such as: Toilet Training, Mouthing and Nipping Plan, Jumping, Play (learning what is appropriate play and what is not appropriate play)
- Monitored off lead play two at a time (so owners can learn about body language)
- Trick Training (to help build the bond, give puppy a job, and have fun)
9. My puppy has had only one vaccination, will it be alright?
Yes. All the puppies are in the same situation. Some have had one vaccine and some have had two. Our classes are held in a dedicated room which makes it very safe. Nothing else happens in this room.
10. The breeder said that I should wait until the puppy is fully vaccinated before starting puppy school.
Unfortunately by waiting until then, your puppy will have missed their critical learning period which is between 4 – 15 weeks of age. (This period has been determined by scientific research into critical learning periods for puppies.)
11. Is the trainer qualified?
Yes. Our puppy school trainer is qualified with Delta Society Australia. This qualification needs to be maintained constantly through continuing education. She is a member of the Delta Institute, Australian Pet Dog Trainers Association, American Pet Dog Trainers Association, Pet Professional Guild and holds a Bachelor of Education degree.
12. What happens if my puppy gets it right?
We only use positive reinforcement training. When you puppy gets something right, they will be rewarded with a food treat, praise, pats and attention.
13. What happens when my puppy gets it wrong?
Your puppy will not be reprimanded when they get something wrong. There is no use of the word ‘No’ or ‘Ah-Ah’ or any other aversive. Your puppy will be given the chance to try again or lured to succeed so that they can be rewarded and reinforced.
14. Can I bring my family to class?
Family members are welcome and encouraged to attend. Though, due to the layout of our training room and the comfort of the puppies, we ask that only 2 people per puppy come each week.
15. This is my child’s puppy, can he handle the puppy in class?
Children can handle the puppy in the class but needs to be accompanied by an adult at all times.