If your dog is due for it’s C5 vaccination you can Book Online
or call us on 9913 7979
The C5 vaccination protects against Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Bordetella bronchiseptica and Parainfluenza. Your dog will be due a Heartworm injection at the same time as vaccination.
These are viral and bacterial diseases that in the past have caused significant illness and often death in many of our dogs. The pet owners of the Northern Beaches are thankfully mostly responsible and caring. This has lead to higher vaccination rates for our pets and much lower incidence of these dangerous diseases.
Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus are the most deadly. We now vaccinate for them every 3 years and get excellent protection results.
Bordetella bronchiseptica and Parainfluenza are the contagious coughing diseases. Protection is difficult and vaccination needs to be refreshed yearly. The Northern Beaches is an area with a high level of contagious coughing disease in dogs due to our social and active population and less than 100% vaccination usage. Your dog will commonly be exposed to the coughing viruses.
While you are at Pittwater Animal Hospital having your dog’s vaccinations boosted your pet will be receiving a comprehensive health check with one of our very experienced veterinarians. A yearly health check for your dog is comparable with us having a check with your doctor every 5 years. Dogs have shorter lifespans and the different age related health and behaviour signs can change from year to year.
For excellent health care your yearly vaccination can include
- Administering booster vaccinations.
- Full physical examination. This will include include discussion of any skin lumps, inflamed skin, age related changes and newly developing physical problems. The weight will be recorded and the heartbeat and dental health noted and discussed.
- Regular screening blood tests.
- Fine needle aspirates can be done on tumours to try to give more information as to if they are benign or more dangerous.
- Skin cytology can be performed to better manage changes in the skin surface.
- Preventative Health review. Where we up-date heartworm protection, discuss tick prevention, review parasite control.
- Discuss your dog’s weight and the type and amount of food you are feeding.
- Behavioural advice.
- Advise and adjust any medication prescribed for your dog.
- Schedule a cartrophen course.
- Clip nails and discuss grooming.
- Express anal sacs
It is often best to write a list of your concerns before you come so we can make sure everything is addressed at your yearly health check and vaccination.